Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Cakewalk Pro Audio 9 - sound sync

  1. #1
    MadFor3D
    Guest MadFor3D's Avatar

    Post

    The sound program I use is Cakewalk Pro Audio 9. I'm preparing to shoot a crystal synced music video. I have read that because of the pulldown rate you need to speed up your song by .1 percent.

    Here's how that looks in my Cakewalk time stretch rollout... Note: where it says Time (%) I have changed it from 100 to 99.9.
    http://www.MadFor3D.com/InProgress/C...imeStretch.jpg

    Aside from contacting the Telecine house and finding out the exact frame rate of they're video capture, shouldn't this work?

    Also, if I put the speeded up song on MiniDisk for playback durring the shoot, will that work? I realize I'm assuming my MiniDisk plays at an exact constant speed. Is this a safe assumption?

    Thanks,

    -M



    ------------------

  2. #2
    Nigel
    Guest Nigel's Avatar

    Post

    I think you will have to slow the song down--Not spped it up.

    ------------------

  3. #3
    MadFor3D
    Guest MadFor3D's Avatar

    Post

    For making a music video, where you already have the song recorded. You need to speed it up by .1%, lip-sync as you are shooting at 24 fps. Then, after the shoot load up the original un-speeded up song, because that will be .1% slowed down to match the .1% slowed down Super 8 film on video because of the pull down rate. No?

    -M


    ------------------

  4. #4
    Mercutio
    Guest Mercutio's Avatar

    Post

    This is just my perspective, but I have shot four music videos on Super 8. I generally shoot any footage that involves the band playing to their CD at 24fps. I have yet to do a playback on DAT or MD though.

    I have never manipulated the frame rate or song speed in post mostly because much of my videos don't have large amounts of lip-synch, and I cut MTV-style so the 2-3 second bursts of footage never really have time to get out of synch. Of course that doesn't answer your question, but unless the whole video is the band playing, and you have lots of closeups of drummers, guitarists, and singers, and you edit with long takes - you may not have to worry about it.

    Oh, and I did one for a very nifty sci-fi lounge band called Astroslut that I never had anything in synch. And it was cool.

    ------------------

  5. #5
    mattias
    Guest mattias's Avatar

    Post

    it doesn't really matter whether you *edit* with long takes. just *shooting* long takes will cause sync problems. you can adjust the sync at every cut of course, but if you already have everything synched up, you don't have to--just match the time codes or the waveforms.

    /matt

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •